Black Eyed PLACEBO Forum • Loud like Placebo version

Articoli di Giornale sui LAR/interviste

« Older   Newer »
- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 8/7/2010, 15:09     +1   -1

KERRANG 2010

°S p i t e & M a l i c e°
view post Posted on 8/7/2010, 20:48     +1   -1

Ho ascoltato il singolo che deve uscire ad agosto.. devo dire che non sono affatto male, anzi! *_*
Il fatto che steve abbia formato una sua band mi ha ricordato i nirvana, non so perché, ma mi è venuto in mente dave grohl nei foo fighters O.o

- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 22:54     +1   -1

Forget Rocky, Born On The Fourth Of July or the Robbie Williams comeback; there’s a far more down-to-earth tale of triumph by perseverance right here in Love Amongst Ruin. On the 21st September, 2007 Steve Hewitt parted ways with Placebo, the band of which he’d been the drummer, co-songwriter and rock’n’roll lifeblood since 1996. After two and a half years spent channelling his energy into a very personal album he now returns as the rejuvenated frontman of Love Amongst Ruin, a multi-faceted hard rock band with the crunch of a stone age queen, the crossover appeal of a parkful of linkins and the melodicism of the hardiest fighter of foos. Drop in twists of New Order/Depeche Mode electro-twangle, Can/Kasabian motorika, Cure atmospherics and hardcore Metallica riffage and you’ve got a bounce-back of potentially Gary Barlow proportions on your hands. Steve’s resurgence was inevitable: having served time at the stool of such diverse acts as The Boo Radleys, grit-rockers Breed, baggy chart stars K-Klass and Placebo – with whom he tasted huge global success, sharing the journey from post-Britpop indie hype band to multi-million selling international superstars – the recording studio is Hewitt’s natural habitat. And there he returned, holing up in his home studio for three months at the end of 2007 with ex-Lamb bassist and fellow Northwich boy Jon Thorn, jamming on forty or so ideas on drums and upright bass. Though many of their demos were rooted in grooves and rock, the first song to be completed was ‘Love Song’, Steve’s defiantly romantic piano paean that ends LAR’s debut album. “That was my first attempt at writing and singing and doing the whole thing,” Steve explains. “It was for my wife. I finished it, spent two days pondering it over and on the third day, late in the evening, I set up the machine and the headphones, and said ‘go upstairs and listen to that track’. I had to sit downstairs, I couldn’t be in the same room as her because I was petrified she’d go ‘it’s shit!’. But she came down crying, which I took as a good sign.” Recruiting his brother Nick on guitar and Julian Cope associate Donald Ross Skinner as co-producer and guitarist, LAR decamped to Bath Moles studio for two four-week recording sessions over the summer of 2008 which Steve found “very exhilarating, I really enjoyed it. I dealt with it really well. I had to make sure it was something I could live with afterwards. I was trying to be true to myself.” Was he worried about taking up singing duties? “It’s another hurdle. As soon as I got in the vocal booth at Moles, then I realised there was gonna be a point I was gonna have to get onstage and do this. I was nervous then!” The record they emerged with was a succinct yet wide-reaching beast. ‘Love Song’ and its harmonious cello brethren ‘Bring Me Down (You Don’t)’ (“a tip of the hat to Can’s ‘Bel Air’”) find counterpoint in the distorted vocals and brutal rock pummel of ‘Running’ or ‘Blood & Earth’ and the cinematic Robert Smith shimmerscapes of ‘Away From Me’ and ‘Heaven & Hell’. Elsewhere ‘Truth’ sounds like Nine Inch Nails covering Sigur Ros, the funk-punk ‘Home’ could’ve dropped, snarling and snivelling, off Kasabian’s ‘West Ryder Pauper Asylum’ and the first two singles ‘So Sad (Fade)’ and ‘Alone’ are worthy of QOTSA and New Order respectively. As rock’n’roll all-rounders go, this is a veritable Flintoff of an album. “It was always going to be a pop/rock record but it was always open to see whatever other influences would come along. All the vocals are very different on the record, there’s lots of different textures and flavours and styles. I’m finding myself at the moment. The first things I’ve written are out on that record and I think it’s quite brave. For a debut album it’s surprisingly commercially viable and a great platform to other things. It’s a great pop/rock record. I’ve always been a pop tart.” Placebo fans may well find Steve’s lyrics of interest; these songs are drenched in bitterness, bile and betrayal, but nonetheless underpinned with determination, self-belief, hope. Friends may be inconstant, but tough times will be overcome. “It’s a bunch of break-up songs. I used this ejection from Placebo for the motivation of the lyrics. Not necessarily completely directed at Brian (Molko) and Stef (Olsdal) but at the same time it’s hard not to combine that. ‘So Sad’ is losing a mate which you thought was a mate. With ‘Alone’ I managed to get the word ‘girl’ in there right at the end, but it’s a break-up song. “It’s cathartic definitely, it needed to be done like that. It’s been a tough journey these last two years but doing this record and these lyrics definitely got it out of me and I’m really pleased about that.” With a minor Oasis of sibling rivalry ousting Nick from the post-studio line-up, Love Amongst Ruin made their debut live outing at The Barfly on 11th May backed with Bath musos Steve Hove on lead guitar, Laurie Ross on cello, key’s and percussion and Magnus Lunden on bass. Steve feels confident he can put the ghosts of Placebo behind him and forge on into a fresher, brighter stage of his life. “I’m happy finding my own road,” Steve grins with his trademark joviality. “I’ve got some great people around me, I’ve hand-picked some really cool talented people for the band, there’s a great vibe, I’m enjoying being in a band and enjoying music again. It feels really fresh and full of energy.” Triumph over adversity? Success snatched from the jaws of defeat? We’re only at scene one and there’s a movie already begging to be made about Love Amongst Ruin.

How are you? Where does this Q&A find you?
I'm fine, but slightly depressed as this is the day that England have just put themselves out of the World Cup. Thank God I have Rock and Roll to comfort me on days like this.
Today I'm at Moles Studio in Bath working on the mixing for a new track on our debut album. This is very last minute as the album was originally completed many months ago. But we have just been refused permission to use a track which was based around the melody from CAN's Bel-Air.

How did the recording sessions for your latest release go? Did you achieve all you’d planned to?
This will be the first release from Love Amongst Ruin, which was recorded over the period of about a year and a half with sporadic recording sessions. The album was started from scratch so it is incdedible that we have ended up with sometthing that is so good. There is a lot of hope and belief in this album - it's a real achievement and those sentiments have been echoed at our recent shows at The Barfly and Scala in London. The recording went very well and we certainly achieved everything that we planned to, in fact in many ways I would have to say we achieved even more.

What goals did you set yourself before you started recording? Did you do anything differently this time, on purpose? If so, why?
I needed to make some serious decisions about the rest of my life. Basically the choices were - the pub or the studio. I chose the studio (fortunately there is a pub next door). The goals were to create something fresh and new with a brand new direction. Some of it was left to fate, some of it was planned. Basically we went on a general exploration of music to find a platform with which to launch this new sound, this new album and this new band.
The biggest difference for me was that previously I had always worked with external producers brought in to work with Placebo. This is a self-produced and very much hands on effort. I was in control every step of the way. With the help of Donald Ross Skinner and Paul Corkett we produced some killer tracks.

What do you feel are your own limitations when it comes to creating/writing music?
When we started work on this I thought that my singing might be a limitation and it took me a long time to realise, and then believe, that I could really do this. But I have since discovered that I have a good range and strong delivery. These just seem to get better the more time I spend in the studio or on the stage. Like playing any instrument the voice benefits from practice, rehearsals and experience.

What do you consider to be your best 3 songs, and tell us the inspiration behind them?
I can't do this - it would be like trying to pick a favourite child. Right now I have ten children (and maybe a couple that you don't know about yet). I love each of them, I created each of them. They are each different and special to me. There are no favourites.
As for the inspiration, well it's no secret that this album has been very cathartic for me in dealing with my departure from Placebo.

What do you love and what do you hate about life on the road? Tell us your funniest tour experience yet?
Touring has become a necessary evil from the point that it is now required in order for a band to exist. Nobody makes money on album sales any more. If you are going to sustain yourself as a musician you have to get on the road and connect with the fans.
In the hate column I really only have one point and that is that it keeps you away from your family.
In the love column it has to be the reason that you tour in the first place - getting that connection between the band and the fans when you see that they are really getting into what you wrote and the show that you are putting on. We really experienced this with our two most recent concerts in London. I can't wait to get this on he road in Europe later in the year.
All my 'funniest' tour experiences are presently being reviewed by the legal department and currently not available for printing. I can share a 'best' experience with you and that would have to The Big Day Out - in Australia 2001 - Rammstein / Roni Size / Queens Of The Stone Age / At The Drive In - great bands, great fans and great times.

How would you describe your own/bands sound, or what do you hate being labelled as?
We play balls out rock and roll with elements of sensitivity, depth, depravity and hope, but we are still very much on the dark side.

Who is currently moving you musically at the moment?

I've been so busy getting everything in line for Love Amongst Ruin that I haven't heard a whole album in months. But there are a few tracks that have impressed me in recent month. Biffy Clyro's - That Golden Rule, The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - The Golden Age and Blood Red Shoes - Light It Up. On top of that I must say that I'm very excited about a project that I played on recently called Polaroid Kiss. It's a lot different than Love Amongst Ruin and of course I love having the chance to get back behind the drums.

What album changed your life and why?
This is hard, almost like picking favourite children, but not quite that hard. Two that I must mention are Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin and In Rainbows by Radiohead. Any album that I can listen to from start to finish is usually something that I consider to be a valid effort and a joyous opportunity to enjoy another artists work. Physical Graffiti changed my life because it showed me (and it still shows me) the power of Rock. In Rainbows, not only is it musically excellent but it was also a fantastic piece of marketing, a real fuck you from the band to the traditional business models. Looking back I think it must have been one of the first clues that made me think I should start my own record label so that I could have better control of my destiny.

If you could erase one single/album from history (your own or someone else's) which would it be and why?
The last Muse album. Because Queen were always so much better at being Queen than Muse will ever be. In 2010 we don't need this prog-rock authority unleashed upon us.

A rumour you'd like to start about yourself, or one you'd like stopped?
I haven't heard any recent rumors, but I did use to enjoy the one about me and Tyra Banks. If you want to start a rumour about me - let's say that I am actually Banksy.

The revolution comes, who would you like to be first against the wall (and if you're feeling particularly bitchy, a second, third, fourth and so on...)?
Simon Cowell / Simon Cowell and ummmm let me see, oh yeah Simon Fucking Cowell.

Best piece of advice you'd give to aspiring musicians, or the best piece of advice you were given when you started?
Trust your instincts and be prepared to work you arse off. You only achieve mediocrity though laziness. There are no sure things and no guarantees, but if you are innovative, skilled and willing to put in the time and effort maybe, just maybe, you can find a large audience for your art.
If you're in a car going at the speed of light, and someone turns the headlamps on, would they do anything?
The lights will be on - but nobody's home.

TOP 5 IPOD TUNES
1. Giving Up - Hairy Diamond 2. House Burning Down - Jimi Hendrix 3. The Reckoner - Radio Head 4. Natural Mystic - Bob Marley 5. Great Freak Moon - Tom Waits

Thanks to John @ Charm Factory

Jeremy Chick

Presa da: www.subba-cultcha.com/features/article.php?contentID=20155

CITAZIONE
If you could erase one single/album from history (your own or someone else's) which would it be and why?
The last Muse album. Because Queen were always so much better at being Queen than Muse will ever be. In 2010 we don't need this prog-rock authority unleashed upon us.

LO AMO!!

hypnotic gaze
view post Posted on 12/7/2010, 16:00     +1   -1

[QUOTE=- glòsòli -,11/7/2010, 23:54]

All my 'funniest' tour experiences are presently being reviewed by the legal department and currently not available for printing.

ma cosa intende dire con questo? Che vuole scrivere un libro sui Placebo? speriamo di no :eh?:

Forse solo che non sa se ne può parlare

- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 12/7/2010, 16:30     +1   -1

mm per me o è tipo come dire che non gli è permesso parlare piu di nulla della vita placebiana, oppure magari intende che le ha combinate grosse ed è finito tipo nella famosa cella notturna a sbollire :D

hypnotic gaze
view post Posted on 12/7/2010, 16:47     +1   -1

Si sarà così! Non avevo pensato alla seconda interpretazione :mmh:
Grazie per la risposta

°S p i t e & M a l i c e°
view post Posted on 12/7/2010, 18:02     +1   -1

CITAZIONE

Beh, a parte per qualche traccia di resistance, Steve non ha poi tutti i torti xD

- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 10/8/2010, 17:14     +1   -1

Steve Hewitt: Love Amongst Ruin has 'my best ever drum sound'
Former Placebo man returns
Rich Chamberlain, Tue 27 Jul 2010, 11:08 am BST

Songwriting drummers are far from anything new, but they seem to be cropping up all over the place of late, a fact shown in the regular rotation new albums from former Razorlight drummer Andy Burrows and ex-Placebo tub thumper Steve Hewitt have been getting on the Rhythm stereo.

We recently caught up with Steve who filled us in on how his new band - Love Amongst Ruin - came about, his move upfront and the heartache involved with handing over drum duties.

How did the band come about?

"After I was unexpectedly ejected from Placebo I got in touch with an old friend of mine John Thorne who was the bass player in Lamb. It all started as a project with no exact goals, but I spent the next year-and-a-half doing recording sessions, using the break-up as a platform of writing songs."

Is the album all new material or did you have a few older songs that you revived?

"It was all new material. All of the songs on the record were the first ones I came up with. There's no mass of material, the first ten songs we wrote we put on there. In that respect it's a very honest record."

How did you go about choosing a drummer?

"I played all drums on the album, then I went to Keith Yorke, a good friend of mine who I've known for 20 years. We play quite similarly really, so it made sense for him to come in. Nobody in the band has been auditioned, it's all about the vibe. It's turned out they're all great musicians."

Has it been difficult to hand over drumming duties?

"Of course. I miss it dearly. I spent 20 years playing the kit. I still play for demos and maybe for the next record. Me and Keith are cool about sharing drum duties for recording. I'm still going over that handover. I miss it live. It started as a project and now I'm like, 'S**t, I'm fronting a band, that wasn't meant to happen!'"

Is it strange to suddenly be up at the front of the stage?

"It's very life affirming to do something you never expected. It had never crossed my mind that I'd be singing in a band. It just happened."

Did you try anything different when recording drums for the album?

"I always play drums as a writer. This isn't a drum album, the drums are there to help the song along. Looking back on the album, I suppose some of the drum tracks could be more developed, but they do what they do, really, just let the track breathe.

"On the production side I had the freedom to get the songs how I wanted them. I didn't have to fight against two other guys, which was always a bit of the case in Placebo. We'd do a great mix and then Brian would say, 'Right, let's turn the vocal right up'. I think I got the best drum sound, better than any Placebo record."

What set-up did you use in the studio?

"I used my white Yamaha Maple Custom, which sounds fantastic. Cymbals were all Zildjian A Customs."

What's coming up for the band?

"We've got Sonisphere, which will be our fourth show, in at the deep end! Album is released on 12 September and then we go out on tour on 25 September."

Fonte: www.musicradar.com/rhythm/steve-hew...source=MRRHYTHM

- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 10/8/2010, 19:54     +1   -1

20 questions with... Love Amongst Ruin
Former Placebo drummer Steve Hewitt talks to us about fronting his new band Love Amongst Ruin.

1. So aside from yourself, who are Love Amongst Ruin and what does each member do within the band?
Donald Ross Skinner plays guitar, provides backing vocals and 'guidance'. Keith York tells me that he provides rhythm & mayhem (drums). Steve Hove plays wicked guitar. Laurie Ross is our classically trained cellist, keyboard player and backing vocalist. Teresa Morini is our newest member and she plays bass and electric upright bass.

2. How did you all meet and come to form a band together?
This band is formed entirely of people that I already knew or people that were recommended to me by friends. I've built a really talented band this way, I can't wait to get started on the second album, everyone has some great ideas and I'm looking forward to building on them.

3. How does your music differ from that of your previous band Placebo?
Well in the studio it differed because I had the final say on what ended up on the record, Donneye was very helpful in the production department but if we came to a point that a decision needed to be made it - it didn't have to be a democratic decision. As far as the songs are concerned this is a much rockier sound, the vocals are less fragile and the sound is darker and punchier.

4. Were you worried about taking up singing duties?
At the start I was, it's a big change from drumming but the more we play and the bigger the shows get the more my confidence builds. There's no doubt that I can do this now, the only question is how far can it go?

5. Have you always wanted to be a frontman?
No, I always wanted to be a drummer, at heart I will always be a drummer. But this front-man thing is a lot of fun, you can really feed off that vibe from the audience. It's amazing how much different it feels, I mean you are on the same stage as you were before but that subtle change from the front to the back is massive in terms of your perspective.

6. Who has influenced your vocal style?
Robert Smith and Thom Yorke.

7. You still play drums on the album. Has it been difficult to hand over drumming duties to Keith for the live shows?
I won't lie I miss drumming at gigs, but I will do it for other projects like Polaroid Kiss. I could have been a 'singing drummer' I suppose but really I always feel that they let the audience down, you can't give your full attention to either activity so it all ends up a bit shit. Keith and I play in a very similar style but he's cheeky enough to take my patterns and throw in his own embellishments, it works well and the audience get their moneys worth.

8. Speaking of the shows, you’ve played a few low-key dates thus far. How did they go?

I suppose they were low key in some ways, but if you had been in the room at Barfly or Scala you would have been blown away by the atmosphere, the sound and the terrific interaction between LAR and the fans. We never played a UK gig before Barfly in May and only one other gig ever (Eurosonic in January) but somehow all those people at the front knew the words to all those songs. One song in and the whole band just looked at each other and we were like 'F**k yeah, this is going off'.

9. What was it like taking centre stage for the first time?
Terrifying - no toms, no snares no cymbals, nothing to sit behind. There I was right on the edge of a very small stage and there not two feet from me are all these people looking you right in the eye and expecting so much. Thankfully we just killed it - it was a great show, super loud, sweat dripping down the walls and everyone just going nuts. Your confidence builds quickly when you find yourself in a situation like that.

10. Were there a lot of Placebo fans in the crowd?
Oh yeah, there were and I think there always will be. That's great, I spent twelve years writing, recording and touring with them. You build relationships with a lot of people over that sort of time and it's brilliant when they follow you to a new project and embrace it with the sort of enthusiasm that we have received.

11. What has their reaction to your new material being like?
It's been well received, very well received. Obviously it's a different role from the one that they are used to seeing me in, but I get the feeling that are digging the vibe.

12. You’ve just announced a full on tour for later in the year. What can the people reading this yet to see you live expect?
Well for one thing we will be loud. This is a full-on 6 piece rock band and everyone likes to play at 11. Having said that we've got a lot of layers, harmonics and unexpected dynamics in our songs too. I recommend you buy a ticket and come to one of the shows, you won't be disappointed. We will be all over Europe and the UK from September through November.

13. You achieved huge levels of success as part of Placebo. What are your hopes and aims for Love Amongst Ruin?
Bigger, better, faster, more.

14. You play Sonisphere this weekend, on a bill that also includes Placebo. Will you be hooking up with your former bandmates for a catch up?
I'm pretty sure they were glad to see that I wasn't playing on the same day.

15. Are there any other acts on the bill you’re eager to check out?
I wish we had been there on Saturday I have the greatest respect for Rammstein, I've hung out with them before and they are just top lads. Sunday we will try and catch Iggy Pop and of course Maiden. I've been drinking with Eddie before and he's real party animal.

16. Who are your favourite bands at the moment?
Love Amongst Ruin. Seriously though I feel like I've been in bit of a vacuum for a while, so busy getting my own stuff released that I haven't had much time to hear anything new. It's actually one of the things that I'm looking forward to during the up-coming tours - a chance to listen to some new music while we are on the road. We are going to play musical Russian Roulette with our iPods.

17. The debut album comes out next month. What can you tell us about it?
I can tell you it rocks and that the response to it has been very positive from the people that have heard it. There is a lot of good stuff on there and I think it is far removed from that usual - two singles and a few filler tracks - formula as you get on a lot of albums these days. There isn't a weak track on there, you'll get your money's worth.

18. Are there any common themes running through the album?
Obviously, this album was written as part of a process to move me on from injustice and pain. It's a common theme throughout the album.

19. Which are your two personal favourites on the record and why?

I dodge this question as much as possible. Any artist will tell you that there is a relationship between them and their work that is similar to a parent child relationship. You love all your children and you don't pick a favourite. They are yours and they were all created from love.

20. It would be great if you could wind up the interview by giving us a short track by track guide to the album, briefly explaining what each song is about...
So Sad (fade)
This is about failing relationships, things that you can't save.
Alone
I suppose I wrote this to describe the desolation that you feel if you lose a job or a lover or a friend. There will always be a place in your heart that's empty now.
Running
Lyrically this is about recovering from a bad situation, moving on and ending up in a much better place. Musically it is about a stomping beat that Jon Thorn and I laid down. The upright bass and the drums on here create a massive throbbing sound.
Heaven & Hell
We can all choose which path to follow and we should understand that these paths ultimately lead to one of two destinations.
Come On Say It
Sometimes, people do things to you, things that have a negative impact on you and you have no idea why they did that. That can be very frustrating, it can taint your view on people in general. This song is a one sided conversation with a coward / protagonist who won't respond, trying to find out the reason they treated you that way.
Away From Me
I've got a friend that was made unemployed during the recent (current?) recession – he told me the whole album helped him get through some tough times, but especially this song. It's about a negative and unexpected change in your life that you were completely powerless to do anything about.
Blood & Earth
This is from a forbidden-love, strange-fruit perspective. I was thinking of Neil Young's 'Southern Man' and hanging trees when I wrote this.
Truth
A reminder to us all that whatever lies you tell, however you spin the facts of the case in the end the truth will find you. After years in a relationship together you still have all this inside knowledge about that relationship and what happened. When you part ways it's all still inside - It's a warning to politicians and other bad people the world over.
Home
This is our gothic-disco track. Every album should have one, here is ours. This is all about that worker / boss relationship – someone thinking that they are superior to you and not understanding that it's your hard work that got them to where they are today. We end our sets with this at the moment and it's a real balls to the wall rocker, lots of screaming and frantic beats.
Love Song
This is the first song that I wrote for the album. It's for my wife and it's also very special to me because my daughter Emily sings the backing vocals.

The band release their eponymous debut album on September 13th.

Fonte: http://www.screamingtarts.com/site/index.p...sk=view&id=2066

- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 24/8/2010, 22:16     +1   -1

ROCKSOUND

'Obviously shit went down with Placebo and I had the choice of either spending my time in the pub or in the studio' laughs Steve Hewitt when asked about the decision to front his latest band, Love Amongst Ruin.

Having burst onto the music scene in mid '96 when he rejoined Placebo replacing Robert Schuktzberg behind the drum kit. Steve spent 11 years touring in one of the most successful rock outfits of the 90s/00s before eventually splitting with the band in 07. A decision that was cited on personal and musical differences.
'I think Placebo got too fucking serious. It wasn't enjoyable and Brian got more and more controlling. It just wasn't fun anymore' he admits.

And in a move that could be described as risky or inspired, depending on your view point, Steve decided to move away from his roots to create Love Amongst Ruin, a "much rockier" outift.
'Part of me was really scared to do it and the other part was telling me I had to do it. In the end I suppose I just bit the bullet. I believe that you need a crisis to vehicle what you write about and for me to start writing, leaving the band was the perfect experience to produce something that had meaning'
And every one of the 10 tracks on the bands self titled album has the crossover appeal oh 'honest' lyricism and 'brutal rock', something Steve aimed for after the issues with songwriting in Placebo.

'I was always writing with Brian, but I suppose he tried to convert whatever was being said to (fit) his emotion and a lot of my stuff got covered in dust. What was said was projected through him, but this time it's definitely all through me. The song 'So Sad' is probably the hardest rocking song on the album and i really enjoy playing it live. Plus I can remember all the lyrics live' he laughs.
Wrenching between fragile tales of loss and hook-filled rock choruses, Steve seamlessly makes the transition from sticksman to vocalist.

Recorded over 4 weeks in the summer of 08, the album was self produced, for the most part anyway...
'I produced the album along with Donald Ross Skinner, who's playing guitar in the band. That was great because I had control. and I didn't have to fight with Brian or Stefan which I enjoyed. By this point I know what I'm doing when it comes to mixing and producing. I did a lot of that with Placebo, usually when Brian or Stef disappeared two thirds of the way through the record and left me to finish it' he says, with what RS assumes (and hopes) is dry humour.

The debut is inspired by a bad break-up, but what's emerged is an album of driven rock melodies to be proud of- and for Steve there's something more fundamental which he has rediscovered.
'I'm back to a place I can enjoy this. The whole point of being in a band was just to have fun and I can do that again' he states.

Just call it triumph over adversity

- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 8/9/2010, 12:19     +1   -1

AAA MUSIC

AAAmusic has an earnest chat with gentleman Steve Hewitt on Love Amongst Ruin, the band that will unveil your dark side!

AAAmusic: I’m quite curious to find out why you picked Love Amongst Ruin as the band name (which is a great name btw). My mind has come up with the idea that it is a tribute to Love Among The Ruins by Robert Browning… Am I right?

Steve Hewitt: Sorry but that’s not it. But you are not the first person to make that assumption. Actually it was all based on my state of mind and the place I found myself in. Although my career was in ruins (I thought at the time) I still received so much genuine love from friends, fans and family I was able to make it through.

AAAmusic: How does it feel to give up your sticks (hopefully temporary) to get on singing duties?

SH: It was overwhelming at first, I really wasn’t sure that I could do it. But as the recording sessions evolved I really started to find a voice for myself. Since then as we have continued to rehearse and play live I have increased my confidence and turned my singing into a strength. As for the sticks, well I’ve already had one good offer (Polaroid Kiss) and I would consider banging the drums again for another project that really interested me.

AAAmusic: Both So Sad (fade) and the album sound great, the right combination of good lyrics and sound composition: what has inspired it?

SH: Greed, failed relationships, spitefulness and hatred. 90% of the album is inspired by those things. The other 10% belongs to true love.

AAAmusic: Without getting much into detail on your departure with Placebo, one thing that I was a bit sceptical when I came to see you down at Scala was on what to expect: I have been a Placebo fan for years but found myself distant from the last two records and I was concerned about you taking the easy route – that is sounding like them; my concerns were also supported by the fact that you actively contributed in writing with Molko. I was happily surprised by the fact that you sound nothing like it and crafted something personal and beautiful. My question now is: did you ever feel, while writing the album, that you were giving to something too much Placebo touch? Or you just wrote everything and then once done listened to it all and realized that your journey leads you to a totally different destination?

SH: Placebo was always a combination of Brian, Stef and Myself so having broken away from 66% of that equation I was confident that this would be something new and different. Yeah, I was lucky enough to have their drummer and one of their song-writers but I also had Jon Thorne and Donald Ross Skinner and my brother Nick helping. They all had their own musical journeys to bring to the table. So we got a result that is a long way removed from my last band.

AAAmusic: Surfing the net I was amazed to find that there already are large communities supporting your new project – some being also Placebo fans but many just genuinely fans of the band. Are you scared of the comparison with Placebo at all? Also taking vocal duties will quite likely lead to comparisons with Molko style etc, do you feel the pressure on this?

SH: No, there’s no pressure there. I’m extremely grateful that a lot of the Placebo fans have taken to Love Amongst Ruin, I really appreciate their coming back to the dark side. At the same time I think that LAR will also build a new fan base that have no idea where I came from, they will just like what we are doing now.

AAAmusic: By listening to the album and watching you perform I can pick lots of clear inspirations, such as Cure and Queens Of The Stone Age. Which artists have inspired you while composing?

SH: For sure the ones you mentioned as well as Radiohead, AC/DC, Led Zep, NIN, Depeche Mode, all the greats really.

AAAmusic: A bunch of UK tour dates has been announced: any plans of an European tour?

SH: Oh yes, in fact it kicks off in a few days. Starting on September 23rd in The Netherlands then on through Belgium, Germany, Poland, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and finishing in France on October 14th.

AAAmusic: Of the current music scene, which artists do you think we should be checking out?

I’ve really been in a vacuum for a long time. Recording the album, rehearsing the band, setting up the label has taken up most of my time for a long while now. I hope when we get in the tour bus I will have more time to listen to some new music.

AAAmusic: As a musician who experienced being in a successful band and now enjoys a fresh, new start, what advice can you give to young musicians out there who dream a successful career in the industry?

SH: Believe in yourself, be true to yourself and stay well away from the X-Factor.

So Sad (fade) is out now. Love Amongst Ruin is out on September 13th.

Interviewed by: Alessia Matteoli

Fonte: http://www.aaamusic.co.uk/2010/09/03/steve...-the-dark-side/

elf ;
view post Posted on 8/9/2010, 12:25     +1   -1

Vecchia, se passi su msn mi passi qualcosa dei LAR?

- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 18/9/2010, 14:36     +1   -1

Love Amongst Ruin Interview with Steve Hewitt

The Sonic Shocks team were given the honour of interviewing the one and only Steve Hewitt from Love Amongst Ruin.

Here's how it went...

Sonic Shocks: Love Amongst Ruin. Has this project been a goal of yours for a long time?

No, not really. This all evolved after my sudden and unexpected departure from Placebo. Prior to that I never had the time for anything like this.

Sonic Shocks: Inevitably your past work in Placebo is always going to be a shadow to begin with; even though when I heard your album (which we’ll discuss later) I listened with no preconceptions or expectations. So, do you believe LAR would have been as well received initially without your previous success?

Obviously my previous stature will have an impact. People who love Placebo are gradually finding out about Love Amongst Ruin but by the same token people who didn't like Placebo might be disinclined to hear this. In the end though the music will have to be good enough to keep people interested and I believe that it is.

Sonic Shocks: Tell me a little bit about how you chose the current line-up?

Friends and friends of friends. In essence you have to be an exceptional musician, a beautiful person and come highly recommended to get in this band. It's a recipe that has worked very well for us.

Sonic Shocks: ...and how did those initial practice and jamming sessions go?

Exceptionally well really. It's just all clicked from the beginning. The first day we were a good band, now we've got to a place where we are a great one.

Sonic Shocks: At what stage did you have your first song written? And did it later end up on the album?

The first song I wrote is on the album. It's the last track, Love Song. I wrote it for my wife and I made it really hard on myself. It's a piano ballad with a three part harmony. I don't play piano and I hadn't sung lead vocals before I recorded that. Somehow it worked out though.

Sonic Shocks: Would you say that you are the Phil Collins of the rock world? Leaving the kit behind.... and taking vocals, or indeed a Dave Grohl?

Well time will tell but if I have to choose, lets go with Dave Grohl shall we?

Sonic Shocks: Does this step to centre stage mean you involvement in the writing process is solely guitar and lyrics; or are the musical arrangements band orientated.

I'm all over the place now. I play bass, guitar, a little keyboards and of course I played drums on the album. I usually have a god idea of what most of the musical parts will be when I bring something to the studio.

Sonic Shocks: Are you a big studio fan? Or do you prefer to get the tracks laid down as soon as possible?

You have to be careful in the studio. It's good to have deadlines and stick to them, otherwise it could all go a bit Chinese Democracy, if you know what I mean. I love recording but you have to get to a point when you say “that's it, finished” and move on to the next thing. You can't stay in there for months.

Sonic Shocks: Who was in charge of production and mixing on the album? And where was it recorded?

90% recorded at Moles Studio in Bath and 10% at Modern World Studios in Tetbury. The production team was Paul Corkett, Donald Ross Skinner and myself, The Evil Seagulls.

Sonic Shocks: I listened to the album and for a debut, it was an outstanding effort. I reviewed it as 9/10; what has the media response been like?

Thanks for that, glad you liked it. So far the response has been very positive, lots of people seem to like it as much as you do. It's very gratifying.

Sonic Shocks: ...and from the fans?

Brilliant, we are getting Placebo fans of course and that's great but also a lot of new people coming in who are perhaps not aware of my past but just love what they are hearing. It's just great.

Sonic Shocks: How did you choose which song to release as a single?

The first one was always going to be SO SAD (FADE) because it's a proper rock song, fast hard and three minutes long. A perfect way to get people's attention. The next single will be HOME, mostly because it's been so well received at our live shows. It's the last track of the set at the moment and it's so much fun to play.

Sonic Shocks: You completed a number of early live shows in London venues; which incidentally SOLD OUT. How do you feel about that response? What were the shows like?

Barfly is not the biggest venue in the world but we had it absolutely packed. There's no direct access to the stage from the dressing rooms so we had to squeeze our way from the back of the room to the stage. There was a minute or two that I wasn't sure if we would make it. Once we started playing it was like a sauna, there was sweat dripping down the walls and a couple of hundred people jumping up and down and singing along. It was brilliant. The second London show at Scala was much the same except a lot bigger.

We actually hadn't planned an encore but the crowd wouldn't leave at the end so we had to go back on and play SO SAD (FADE) again. It was so much fun.

Sonic Shocks: What can new fans heading out to your upcoming tour expect from the live show?

Rock music. Dark, loud, fast, melodic rock music.

Sonic Shocks: Do you ever get on the kit mid-live set?

I haven't yet, but never say never.

Sonic Shocks: What has it been like letting another drummer step into ‘your role’ – are you overly critical?

You might have to ask Keith that. I don't think so though. Keith knows what I expect from each track but he's skilled enough to do that and add his own little touches, he's making these beats his own, bit by bit.

Sonic Shocks: I always mean to ask this question to artists and given that you are relatively new to being centre stage; What are you views on live photographers?

If you're in a band people are going to want to take your picture. If you have a problem with that maybe you shouldn't be in a band.

Sonic Shocks: And how do you feel about interviews?

If you're in a band people are going to want to ask you questions. If you have a problem with that maybe you shouldn't be in a band.

Sonic Shocks: I am really excited to see Love Amongst Ruin progress further and I have ever faith that the album will do very well. What is the plan for the next 6 months?

A lot of hard work. Our European tour kicks off on September 23rd in The Netherlands. Then it's on to Belgium, Germany, Poland, Italy, Austria, Switzerland and France. At the end of October and the start of November will be touring the UK and Ireland. Then we will finish off the year with the Kerrang! Xmas party in Birmingham. A lot of hard work, but we are all really looking forward to it.

Sonic Shocks: Will you be releasing a live DVD in the future?

I nearly forgot that, yeah we will be recording something very special in November for DVD release soon afterwards.

Sonic Shocks: Most importantly, where can we find out more about LAR online?

All the usual places, Facebook, MySpace and of course LoveAmongstRuin.com

Sonic Shocks: Is there anything else you would like to let the readers and fans know?

We will never take you for granted. We know that we have to work hard, put on great shows and make great records in order to keep you interested and that's exactly what we intend to do.

Fonte: http://sonicshocks.com/Love-Amongst-Ruin-I...teve-Hewitt.php

spacemonkey
view post Posted on 19/9/2010, 21:26     +1   -1

CITAZIONE (- glòsòli - @ 18/9/2010, 15:36)
If you're in a band people are going to want to take your picture. If you have a problem with that maybe you shouldn't be in a band.

ogni riferimento a cose o persone realmente esistenti è puramente casuale... XD

- glòsòli -
view post Posted on 30/9/2010, 14:27     +1   -1

^ beh da la stessa risposta anche all'altra domanda sulle interviste.. secondo me la pensa cosi e basta ;)
Il subdolo lasciamolo a fare a Brian, darth vader ops Steve per ora sta abbastanza sopra alle frecciatine :)

74 replies since 8/7/2010, 15:09   2107 views